Differences between your method and Piano Magic

Dear guests,
Hope you've enjoyed your visit to my forum.

As a visitor, you are only seeing a minor portion of this board. Students of the course(s) can register to access the entire board.

** Due to the deluge of spam posts, the Visitor Center is closed for non-member postings until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please visit my website for much more information about my courses. You are also free to contact me via the website.

Differences between your method and Piano Magic

Postby BigSmile » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Rosa,
could you explain a little bit about the differences between your method and Piano Magic? (... only if you know the content of PM!)

I have looked into PM one year ago but it was a little bit to unorganized there (for me!). Many information were only availiable searching the forum for answers.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards and greetings from Germany,
Carsten
BigSmile

Re: Differences between your method and Piano Magic

Postby Alene » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 am

:) Hi Carsten: This is Rosa's "night time" so until she comes in with a better answer, I thought I would give you my feelings. I am a member of the Sudnow course, PM, and Rosa's and along with Rosanna, we helped with the editing of Rosa's books which was so much fun. I can say that I really like all 3 of these courses and went from Sudnow into PM and that is where I got to know Rosa before she wrote her books. You mentioned wanting something that was more structured than PM and I feel that Rosa's is. Her books are so nicely laid out that you progress thru them with lots of different ways to "decorate"your songs in an easy, very clear, manner. Plus she has video's to SHOW you every thing that she talks about, also mp3's, and midi's, and even a virtual piano system in the Play By Ear book to show the keys that are being played. In my opinion, this is the best organized course I have seen to have a person playing by ear or lead sheet with many decoration ideas for the right and left hand. You would be able to combine some of these techniques right in with the Sudnow method also if you wanted to.

Hope this helps, until Rosa comes along! :rainbow:
Alene
Alene

Postby BigSmile » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:27 am

Hi Alene,
well. Same two courses for all three of us. ;)

I am also a member of Sudnow and PM. At the moment I am fully involved in Sudnow. But I also want to train my playing by ear and other piano skills. I also have taken a look into Quiescence Music and like improvising at the keys.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do all PBE courses... :listen: ... and not that money to stay with all. :surprised-013:
So I wanted to know if I will get good benefits from Rosa or if I should give Michael a second chance.

I also have seen the website of Patty Carlson. It is calles PianoLogic (http://www.pianologic.com) and also works with numbers insead of musical notation. But I don't have many information about this course...

Carsten
BigSmile

Postby Rosa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:30 am

Hi Big Smile,

What a pleasant surprise to see you here in my site! Piano Magic teaches to play by ear. I teach both. I think we all teach from how we first learned piano, and we teach what works for us. I didn't learn from 'play by ear' first. I also didn't learn classical music. I learned to play one finger melody with RH by teaching myself to teach treble clef. I trained myself to know how to read the bottom note of the bass clef to play chords. Back in those days, lead sheets and fake books were not so popular.

So in my approach, I want the best of 2 worlds. :lol: :lol: I know, teachers will tell you that you can't have the best of 2 worlds, but that's how I learned it best and that's how I played these last 26 years at church.

Recently there was a review of different piano courses done by a piano review site.

Take a look at this:
http://mytoppianolessons.com/piano-with-rosa.html

You might find some answers from there. The site is supposed to remove all subjectivity but somehow there are 2 people there, one called Michael and one called Natalie who wrote a review there about my course, but they never bought my course. I suppose they review from what they see on my front page.

Rosa
Rosa
Instructor

Postby Rosa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:41 am

BTW Carsten, you can download a free song book from here. I teach people how to read these kinds of sheet music and show them about chord progressions and how to improvise from these songs. I use songs as the backbone to teach phrasings, experimenting with different rhythm, music theory etc.

The PBE is different from Patty Carlson's. I have her piano logic.
This PBE system is something that is used over here in Asia that make Western Music very simple to understand without reading notes on staff. It actually uses a scale system to notate, and that's why people use it here a lot, particularly the older generation.

http://www.songbook.learnpianowithrosa. ... tSongBook/

Rosa
Rosa
Instructor

Postby BigSmile » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:42 am

Hi Rosa,

it is a PLEASURE for me that I found your site. Never thought that you are an online instructor and CEO of Rosa Corp. ! :cheerleadersmileygirl:

I read a post in the Sudnow forum and found your link. So coooool. :clappingorange:

One little comment. I wanted to see the demo video here: http://www.learnpianowithrosa.com/books ... es-videos/
But for me the video was not availiable.

More tomorrow. Has to practice a little bit. It is 9:40 pm now.

The best wishes to you, Rosa !
And we stay in contact here.

Carsten
BigSmile

Postby BigSmile » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 am

Oh, just one word:

I try to build a little review/information site on my own. Have started yesterday. Not finished yet. Long way to go.

But here an example of my site:
http://www.carstenknoedler.de/ck/piano

So the next weeks I want to know all about CCI and PBE to add... ;)
BigSmile

Postby Alene » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:47 am

:) Hi Carsten: I guess we all go to the same courses and it's good to try different ones out and see which suits us best or maybe they all do. I have taken Quiesence Music also and went thru his 100 (at that time) lessons which I thought was very good for learning to improvise our own melodies. I also got the Patty Carlson course a couple years ago but never finished it as I could see it just wasn't for me, but of course, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be good for someone else so I can't even give my thoughts on that one. I know she uses some sort of numbering system but that's all I know about her course.

I love the Asian Notation system that Rosa uses in her Play By Ear book (PBE). This numbering system is one we can all understand because it uses scale degrees for the melody and Roman Numerals for the Chords so very easy to make a lead sheet and play in all 12 keys. I was very impressed with this system which also allows the timing to be written right into the lead sheet as with the scale degrees. I don't know why this system isn't used more here in the States....don't know about Germany?

I think you would be really pleased with Rosa's method, and along with Sudnow's it gives you several different ways to play the same song or to add things to Sudnow's songs. Rosa also shows you how to improvise the song as well so you would also learn improvisation from her method. I think we get new ideas from all these courses and just have to take what we can from each one and combine into our own thing. I've learned from all of them but if you want a well laid out plan to follow then Rosa's is perfect. in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Once (if) you become a member the whole forum website (which you can't see all of it yet) is very informative and Rosa is always around to answer any questions and members can also post their recordings....just a fun place to be! :rainbow:
Alene
Alene

Postby Rosa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Carsten,

I put the You-tube video to 'public' again so you can take a look :P . This video is in the Lesson 1 of my course, and then I build all my lessons upon that foundation. All my beginners students love this lesson because it is easy for them to do right away.

I saw your site -- pretty site! Half of it is in German. Maybe you can teach us German.

Rosa
Rosa
Instructor

Postby Big Smile » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi Rosa,
hey. The video works now. Nice teaching. Easy to understand. GREAT!

One more question:
What will I get with your courses? Downloadable files or are you shipping things?

Somewhere I have read that you sent a package via mail. That's why I wonder if this is a downloadable course or if it is possible to get the stuff in printed form and the files on DVD.

Finally I have redesigned my website a little bit. Have changed the layout.

I have started a Sudnow blog and I think this older pink layout is the best design for the "Rosa" blog ! ;)
Little wordplay. Rosa is the German word for "pink".

And here we are in our first German lesson ! :)

WELCOME !

Carsten
Big Smile

Next

Return to Visitor Center